Marketing interview questions are as unique and diverse and the person, or people, who will interview them. Each come with their own criteria! However there are some common themes, as well as some new kids on the block!
Fairly straightforward questions about roles, functions and definitions:
- marketing channels
- pricing strategies and programs
- managing retailing, wholesaling and market logistics
- marketing – online and direct
- monitoring and controlling marketing activities
- advertising, sales promotion and public relations
- sales force management
- you are presented with a scenario and asked what you (and your marketing team) will do to improve your marketing. Be prepared to show that you have a good understanding of appropriate tactics and their outcomes.
- you are presented with a scenario that utilizes specific software. Be prepared to demonstrate that you have a good working knowledge of the software.
- you are presented with a choice of two potential marketing strategies. Be prepared that there may not be a ‘right’ answer, and that you will be expected to delve a little deeper.
Now, what to wear! Of course, it’s an interview, so you want to be well put together. But this is marketing, right, so you want to show that you’ve got an edge. So, here are some ideas:
- wear something classic and somewhat conservative. This will show that you take the interview seriously.
- add something ‘current’ and ‘happening’. You want to show that you’re up with the trends and no how to use them successfully.
- women can make somewhat of a statement with jewelry. You can still be professional while incorporating something a little ‘out there’.
- carry your documents in something professional and hip. Don’t feel obliged to carry a briefcase – these days there are lots of crossover models available! Messenger bag briefcases don’t stray too far from the traditional, and also give a message that you haven’t been left behind! Click here for some great ideas!
- for the guys, you need to be aware that if you have facial hair it can make as much of an impact as your shoes, clothes and man bag combined! If you’re not clean shaven, trim those whiskers to make them as much as a fashion statement as the rest of you!